Sunday, February 28, 2010
20100228 Lubia Polo
(SOURCE: ghazakade.com - Lubia Polo)
My first try at Persian cuisine. This is the perfect dish for a very cold evening! By the way, if you don't have time, it is okay to skip step 1.
500g basmati rice
400g stew beef, cut into small pieces
400g green beans, cut into 2 to 3 cm pieces
3 medium onions, sliced
1 to 2 tbsp tomato puree
100g vegetable oil
salt and pepper
1. Wash rice twice and soak in salted warm water for 3 to 4 hours, then drain the water.
2. Pour water in a large pan until it is half full and bring it to a boil. Add rice and a spoonful of salt and continue boiling until rice slightly softens (about 5 minutes). Pour rice into a sieve and wash it with slightly warm water. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a stew pan and brown onion until golden. Add meat and fry over medium heat until color changes. Add 1 to 2 glasses of hot water and cook for about 30 minutes on medium heat, add more hot water if necessary.
4. Add tomato puree, salt and pepper, and cook for another 15 minutes on medium heat.
5. Add the half cooked and rinsed rice, mix well, then cover and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes.