Thursday, February 24, 2011

20110224 Phool Gobi (Cauliflower Masala)


(SOURCE: Indian: The Cookbook by Pushpesh Pant - Phool Gobi)

This dish is originated in Punjab. I skipped the asafoetida (adding an onion-like smell after heating) and fenugreek seeds (a bittersweet spice) as I couldn't find them. I couldn't find Garam Masala either, so simply made my own using the recipe provided in the cookbook - but of course, I didn't have everything the recipe lists, so I modified the recipe a little with the limited ingredients I have. We like our cauliflower less crunchy, so I doubled the cooking time as suggested. A little improvisation was needed when cooking this dish, but it tasted pretty good.

I made four Indian dishes last night so we only had to heat them up after work today and tomorrow, and my husband could have some leftover for lunch. Our house is now smelling like curry - actually even my handbag smells like curry because I left it next to the kitchen counter, man! Now I just have to find a way to rid the smell. Any ideas?

INGREDIENTS
125ml vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
2.5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground ginger
1 large cauliflower, cut into 5cm florets
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp Garam Masala *
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground tumeric
bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
salt

*Garam Masala can be made by simply grinding the below ingredients.
2 cups cumin seeds
1/2 cup ground coriander
3/4 cup cardamom pods
1/3 cup black peppercorns
40g ground ginger

METHOD
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, and fry the cumin seeds and ginger for a few seconds. Add the cauliflower. Season with salt, chilli powder, garam masala, sugar, and tumeric. Stir and mix everything well. Add a splash of water, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add coriander, toss well, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment