Saturday, January 8, 2011
20110108 Pizza Schnitzel
(SOURCE: Koken & Genieten magazine - Pizzaschnitzel met kaaskorst)
I modified the amount of ingredients a bit in order to make more sauce. This was so easy to make as it took only 15 minutes to prepare, and then the oven did the rest. I served this with some fresh ciabatta bread so no sauce went to waste!
1 onion, finely chopped
2 pork escalopes (varkensschnitzels)
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp dried oregano
salt and fresh group black pepper
100g minced meat, rolled into two long sausages
350g can tomato blocks
125g mozzarella, cut into blocks
40g grated cheese
1. Heat oven to 150 degree C. Heat oil in a pan, and brown the escalopes for about 2 minutes on each side. Season with 1 tsp of dried oregano, and salt and pepper. Remove from pan. Add the onion to the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Set aside.
2. Lay the escalopes in a greased oven dish, and place some onions, a slice of ham, and a sausage (in this order) on each escalope.
3. In a small bowl, season the tomatoes with the oregano and salt and pepper. Add the cream and mix well.
4. Pour the tomato-cream mixture all over the "pizzaschnitzel". Cover the oven dish with a lid, and cook it in the oven for about 50 to 55 minutes.
5. Scatter the mozzarella blocks and grated cheese all over the pizzaschnitzel, then return the dish - without a lid - to the oven to cook for another 20 to 25 minutes. Finally leave it under a hot grill for about 5 minutes to brown the top.