Tuesday, August 11, 2009
20090811 Rapid Ragu
(SOURCE: Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson)
You could prepare more caramelized onions and then freeze them for making omelette or sandwich later. My friend and I made this dish together, and we made some sour cream mashed potato to go with this too. Nigella suggested lamb mince instead, but beef mince is cheaper and tastes as good!
2 tbsp garlic oil
125g cube pancetta
500g beef mince
75g caramelized onions *
80ml Marsala liquor
400g chopped tomatoes
50g grated cheddar
1. Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan, and fry the cubed pancetta until beginning to crisp.
2. Add the meat, breaking it up with a fork in the pan as it browns.
3. Tip in the caramelized onions, Marsala, tomatoes, lentils and wwater and bring the pan to the boil.
4. Simmer the ragu for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with the cheese before serving.
* How to make caramelized onions - ingredients can easily doubled for more.
1. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a medium-sized pan set over low heat. Add about 3 thinly sliced onions, a generous pinch of salt, and 1 tsp honey. Stir every now and then for even cooking.
2. If the onions dry out, add in a splash of water to keep the onions from burning. Keep cooking over low heat until onions are golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes.