Sunday, March 6, 2011
20110305 Fudge Brownies
(SOURCE: SimpleDailyRecipes.com - Shhh. I am eating the perfect fudge brownie)
For some reasons, I always thought brownies were difficult to make and hence never made them. I saw this recipe from Jill at SimpleDailyRecipes.com. There are detailed step by step instructions which made the recipe not that intimidating, so I decided to give it a go. The fudge brownies were not difficult to make, but they sure were difficult to cut, especially when they were still a bit warm - that's why the picture was not that pretty. But oh my goodness, one little, creamy square stopped any craving I had for chocolate today. This would be what Jill described as a "butt-widening delight"!
For the brownies -
113g butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
For the chocolate frosting -
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 175 degree C. Lightly butter a 18cmX18cm square baking pan.
2. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla with a fork in a large bowl. Add eggs and beat in well. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to sugary-egg batter, beating until well blended. Stir in the chopped pecans. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, just until the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Note that the brownies will look wet and the center may have a little jiggle to it. Just let them cool.
4. While the brownies are cooling, but not completely cooled, prepare the chocolate frosting.
5. Mix the powdered sugar and cocoa in a small bowl, set aside. Heat butter and milk in a small saucepan over low heat until butter is melted. Gradually mix in cocoa mixture, beating until smooth. Stir in vanilla. If the frosting seems thick, add a little more milk until it is spreadable.
6. Spread warm frosting over the warm brownies. Be careful, the center will be gooey and may move when you try to spread on the frosting. That's why it is good to have a smooth, easy spreading frosting.
7. Let these brownies chill overnight, or at least for 2 to 3 hours.
Labels: Baked goods