Saturday, March 5, 2011

20110305 Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks


I got a big bag of tandoori masala spices from my husband's boss last week as I asked him where to find all the fragrant Indian spices. He said TRS is a good brand for Indian spices - I guess the Brits know their Indian food. I was eager to give the lovely spices a try all week, but was not sure what to make as I don't have any recipes that gives me specific instructions on how to substitute certain spices with the tandoori masala spices. I know tandoori masala is often used for barbecue and grill, and I have some chicken drumsticks in my fridge. So I looked up several recipes of tandoori chicken, and came up with the following. I am not really confident in creating recipes myself and was anxious to find out how the chicken taste. They were really tasty! I can't wait for summer to come so I could use the tandoori masala spices for barbecue - chicken tikka, tandoori chicken, tandoori fish...!


INGREDIENTS
3 tbsp plain yoghurt
2 tbsp tandoori masala spices
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
2 tsp grated ginger
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 chicken drumsticks

METHOD
1. Use a sharp knife, make shallow slashes in the chicken drumsticks to help the marinade to get inside the chicken.
2. In a ziploc bag, mix together the yoghurt, tandoori masala, turmeric, grated ginger, crushed garlic, lemon juice, and salt. Add the chicken to the ziploc bag and massage them to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
3. Heat oven to 230 degree C. Remove the chicken drumsticks from the marinade, leave only a thin layer of marinade on them. Roast the chicken drumsticks on an oiled baking sheet for 20 to 30 minutes, turning once halfway through. Transfer the chicken drumsticks to plates, and serve with lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment