Monday, November 29, 2010

20101129 Carrot and Sweet Corn Congee


I craved something warm and liquidy today after a horrible migraine attack. As I did not want to go to the supermarket, I had to be creative with the leftover carrots and canned sweet corn. So voila, carrot and corn congee (rice porridge)! I still like my usual chicken/minced beef congee better, but this one would do for this miserable Monday.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup uncooked white rice
2.5L water
2 chicken stock cubes
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp dried parsley
50g carrots, finely diced
120g sweet corn, drained
salt and white pepper

METHOD
1. In a large pan, combine the first four ingredients, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and cook for about 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
2. Add the dried parsley, carrots, and sweet corn into the congee. Cook for another 45 minutes over medium high heat until the congee has a consistency you like. Season well with salt and white pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment